Saturday, March 16, 2013

Tis' Like a Morn' in Spring, Oil Painting by Linda McCoy


"Tis'Like a Morn' in Spring" Oil Painting by Linda McCoy
About This Painting:
Oil on panel
Media: oil
Size: 6 in X 6 in (15.2 cm X 15.2 cm)
Sold
 
On St. Patrick’s Days in the late 60’s Mayor Daley dyed the Chicago River green, held a big parade downtown, complete with Mummers and all. People drank green beer, wore green foil top hats and whooped it up in local neighborhood taverns. On the city’s south side where I am from, kids wore white satin jackets with big Kelly green letters that spelled “Southside Irish.” There was a parade on the southside too, lots of dance and baton twirling kids with high school bands blaring. The pipers were my favorites, the haunting melodies and boom of the big drums. I liked the way the tassels on their socks swayed back and forth as they marched.
My husband and I went to parties at my mother and father-in-laws friend’s homes. The Conaghans, Kennedys, Callahans, Currans and McCoy’s would meet and the party was on. I remember most clearly Dan and Della, both spoke with an Irish brogue, and were delightful people. Dan’s smile was contagious and he really did have an Irish twinkle in his eye. They sang all of the standards, “My Wild Irish Rose,” “Oh Danny Boy.” “When Irish Eyes are Smiling,” and that lovely lullaby “Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ra.” They always spoke longingly about Ireland, remembering their friends and relatives that still lived there.
Chicago is still dyeing the river green, but the parties with those lovely Irish I knew are no more as are they. A memory of their humor and camaraderie remains with me, and not a St. Patrick’s Day goes by that I don’t think of them. So Happy St. Patricks’s Day, and may the wind be always at your back.

Copyright 2013, Linda McCoy

No comments: