Saturday, August 31, 2013

"Luke" by Linda McCoy


Luke by Linda McCoy

Luke by linda McCoy, painting by Linda McCoy

About This Painting:
watercolor on arches
Media: watercolor
Size: 12 in X 15 in (30.5 cm X 38.1 cm)
 
I just returned from a Watercolor Workshop with Janet Rogers. I’ve been painting primarily in oils for the last seven years since joining the Daily Painters Gallery, and felt my watercolor skills needed a refresher. I came away from this class wanting more of Janet! She is a wonderful instructor, patient, frank, and gave her all so that each artist was given attention.

This class was flowers and people. I enjoyed the flower portion, it helped me loosen up, and prepare for the people portion of the class.  The gift of this class is Janet’s use of color in the flesh tones. She combines colors in a wash that seem to glow on the paper. This was a huge take a way for me since there are not many watercolor paintings I see that I am in love with the flesh colors. Janet takes them to a new level, and walks the artists through her color mixing wizardry!

I took the class at Dillman’s in Lac du Flambeau, Wisconsin, but Janet teaches workshops all over the United States. Our stay in the north woods is always so peaceful!

I always think the hardest part of portrait or people painting is not just the correct likeness, color and value but connecting with the sitter in a way that you are able to capture the spirit of person.

So this is one of the pieces near completion but not quite finished of Luke. A very special little man, Luke has a wonderful personality and spirit; he is curious, inquisitive, loves trucks, (especially garbage trucks) and has the most wonderful, easy laugh.  A little more work on the hair, eye color (hazel) and I think I will call him finished.

To see Janet’s schedule for workshops, www.watercolorsbyrogers.com

3 comments:

ВАСИЛИЙ СЫЗЬКО said...

Dear Linda! I am happy to watch your paintings again. I wish you good luck after a refresher Watercolor Workshop classes.

Linda McCoy said...

Thank you Vasily, it was good to get away for a bit, and practice watercolors!

ВАСИЛИЙ СЫЗЬКО said...

http://happyschoollife01.blogspot.com/2013/08/je-taime.html Dear Linda!You may love some English, American and Russian songs. IMHO they are ones of the best. The word, music and art influence the people greatly.