Thursday, September 26, 2013

"The Flip Side" Watercolor by Linda McCoy


The Flip Side, Sunflower Watercolor by Linda McCoy
The Flip Side, Sunflower Watercolor by Linda McCoy, painting by Linda McCoy
About This Painting:
Watercolor on 140lb Arches Paper
Media: watercolor
Size: 10 in X 13 in (25.4 cm X 33 cm)
Price: $65 USD
Sold
Bev, a lovely lady who takes oil classes from me on Monday brought these beautiful sunflowers to class. So, all day long we painted merrily away; painting of course the front of the flower. Everyone did a great job, and their paintings turned out beautiful. As everyone was cleaning brushes and preparing to leave, I noticed how beautiful Bev's sunflowers were, seeming to just recline on the table. The leafy backside, the part that usually doesn't get much of my attention, seemed to be beckoning me to paint it. So here they are, the gorgeous, swirling, twirling, leafy, flip side of the flower.  I decided against adding shadows that they cast on the table, deciding to instead depict them as they might look growing in the garden, soaking up the autumn sun. I loved painting these, thanks for bringing them to class Bev!
Copyright 2013 Linda McCoy

2 comments:

Beverly Jones said...

Such glorious sunflowers! You captured their beauty so well. I love all the details in the stems, the leaves, and the undersides to the sunflowers. That is just how they looked, reclining on the table.

I am enjoying the class so much and learning a lot about color, light, shadows, and so forth. You are an excellent teacher who knows how to bring out the best in your students.

Linda McCoy said...

Thanks so much Beverly, I'm so happy you are enjoying the class!