Monday, December 17, 2007

Castello di Verrazzano, Chianti Region, Italy



This is a watercolor sketch competed on site at the Verrazzano Winery. What a great day. My friends went on the wine tour and the executive tour guide Gillian allowed me to sit in one of the towers and paint. I did two watercolors. Although this trip was in March of this year, nothing brings back the memory of this vacation like looking at the sketches. The castle was built in 700, and it is just beautiful. My sketchbook notes say all the windows are a different size, and I remember having to really look as my brain wanted to paint them all the same in neat rows. So much stone. Parts of it warmed by the sun, others in cool shadows. I could have painted more except someone called me in for the wine tasting. Fabulous wine and food mixed with stories about the castle's colorful past. (Was one of the family really served up for dinner by the natives while exploring off of the coast of Florida? Yipes!) Many thanks to Gillian for her hospitality. 10"X14" watercolor on arches 140lb cold press paper.

1 comment:

Krista Gobeli said...

Fabulous, of course :D