Thursday, January 31, 2019

August Feast, Sunflower and Sparrow



























We have a magnificent sunflower field in Mason, Ohio, not too far from where I live. The flowers are planted every year by Natorp's Nursery in Mason. When the sunflowers bloom people come from everywhere to take pictures, they bring props with them, chairs, toys, picture frames to frame themselves in the field. I wonder how many "selfies" are taken here every year?
I went twice this past summer, once to meet my grandsons and my daughter-in-law. It was a great day and the boys seemed to enjoy the flowers and the picture taking. We must go again next year.

Since I paint so many bird paintings, I decided to go back when the sunflowers were drooping over and seeding; I was rewarded with more sparrows than I could count. They were flitting from flower to flower gorging themselves on ripened seeds.

The painting is one of my favorites. I love the sighing sunflower petals, the birds, and the color of the August sky.

This painting hung for a few months at Sinclair College in Mason, along with other Arts Alliance Painters.  I brought it home on this frigid Cincinnati day.
9"x12" Oil
https://www.dailypaintworks.com/fineart/linda-mccoy/august-feast-sunflower-and-sparrow/722803



No comments: