Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Queen of Soul" Oil Painting by Linda McCoy

I lived in Detroit for a few years where, as you would imagine Aretha Franklin is an institution. An associate named Cynthia came into my office one Monday morning and said "Linda you will never guess who was at church yesterday......Aretha Franklin! She came in wearing a gorgeous hat and she sang with us!" I asked Cynthia how it was. "Linda, she ROCKED the house!" How wonderful that she returns to the church she once attended in her youth and still sings with the congregation.
This is her as she sang "My Country 'tis of Thee" for the inauguration. I think she did a great job. How fortunate we are to have her as a national treasure.
My favorite of her recordings? Why "Freeway of Love" of course!
lindamccoyart@live.com 6" X 6" Oil on gallery wrapped stretched canvas.
Copyright Linda McCoy 2009 Sold

2 comments:

Krista Gobeli said...

This is so beautiful it gives me goosebumps.

Linda McCoy said...

Thanks Krista, what a nice thing to say!