Monday, April 07, 2008

Raku and an Old Shoe


The warm weather yesterday prompted a deck clean-up. I was picking up one leaf, twig, vine and seed at a time. Himself reminded me that yes, we did own a broom and didn't I want to sweep? Sweep!? No, that thought never crossed my mind! I placed the crunchy rubble on the table imagining a still life. The other treasures were inside. The raku pumpkin was a purchase from a gallery when we lived in Wisconsin. The little shoe is from an antiques store in Lebanon, Ohio. It was missing it's partner, but it had good patina and why did I need two anyway? It's been around awhile but the opportunity to place it in a painting never seemed to present itself.
So this morning it all came together in a still life. Just everyday stuff really except for the little shoe. How many little ones wore it? The leather is too soft and worn to be used by just one baby. Girl or boy? Where are they now? If they are gone did they have a good life?
6"X6" Oil on gallery wrapped stretched canvas. $100.00. tcoy1@msn.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the color of this piece. That must be a very uncomfortable shoe for the baby.

Linda McCoy said...

Thanks for your comments and for stopping by! I bet that shoe was uncomfortable when new, but this old one is very soft leather..looks like it was worn by more than one baby.